One of my favorite books about personal development is “The Happiness Advantage” by Shawn Achor. It is a great book about happiness, and how it can lead to success. Most people, including myself, naturally have the mindset that we will be happy once we attain love, success, or a milestone in life. This book posits that if we can figure out how to be happy in our current situation then love, success, and milestones will happen. Instead of being happy after we attain something, if we are happy now, it makes it more likely we will succeed.
The following video is a TED talk by Shawn Achor that describes some of the major ideas in the book.
The main suggestions in the book for increasing happiness and therefore increasing success are as follows:
- Find something to look forward to (movie, vacation, purchase)
- Perform Random Acts of Kindness (Service)
- Infuse Positivity Into Your Surroundings (family pictures, go outside on a nice day)
- Spend Money (not on stuff, on experiences)
- Exercise a Signature Strength
This is a great book. If you feel like you need to institute some positive change in your life it is a somewhat easy read with great ideas. Let me know what other great personal development books you have read.